Jesus called the Church to continue his work in the world when he said:
“Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” (John 20:21)
The Church works in the world beyond its own walls to enable everyone to encounter the Gospel. We convey the message of the Gospel through our words and deeds.
The Church brings the Gospel to life by
- serving everyone and
- promoting fellowship in all directions.
International missionary work
The Church’s mission agencies work closely with the parishes. Each agency signs a Framework Agreement with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland and renews it annually. The agreement defines the principles for domestic and international mission work.
The signatory agencies include:
- Finnish Lutheran Overseas Mission
- Media Mission the Messengers
- Finnish Lutheran Mission
- Lutheran Evangelical Association of Finland
- Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Mission
- Finnish Bible Society
- Swedish Lutheran Evangelical Association in Finland
The Church’s mission agencies work together with Finn Church Aid in development cooperation, peace work and humanitarian assistance. As a diaconal relief organisation, Finn Church Aid signs a separate agreement with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.
Christian service is an integral part of the Church’s witness in the world. Jesus said, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:19–20).
Parishes living through mission
In addition to serving the people within its own area, each parish is also charged with a global missionary task. It is only through mission that the parish truly lives and is true to its calling.
Support for parishes
In the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, mission is carried out in collaboration between its parishes, agencies and central administrative bodies.
The Church’s mission agencies work at the grassroots level both in Finland and abroad by collaborating with local parishes, their surrounding communities and the local population.
The Church’s Office for Global Mission coordinates and supports collaboration and relations between parishes, mission agencies and international partners.
The Office for Global Mission
The Church’s Office for Global Mission
- supervises, develops, coordinates and monitors the missionary work of the Church and its parishes.
- is in charge of education, training and communications related to mission in collaboration with local parishes, dioceses and mission agencies.
- promotes the joint activities of the Church’s mission agencies.
- strengthens understanding of the Church’s theology of mission.
- participates in discussions on religions and religious movements; monitors changes in religious adherence, identification and practice; provides related training; and advances interfaith dialogue.
- maintains its own relationships with partner churches and international bodies.
- operates under the Church Council as part of the Department for International Relations.