The Principles of Responsible Investment as a framework
The Church Pension Fund's responsible investment principles are at the core of its investment activities. As of 2008, the Pension Fund has undertaken to comply with the UN supported Principles for Responsible Investment and has built its responsible investment activities around these principles. The PRI helps the Pension Fund to carry out responsible investment activities.
As a signatory of the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), the Church Pension Fund has committed to the following:
1. We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- We draw up an annual responsible investment plan, which includes the goals for responsible investment.
- A separate Climate Change Strategy guides our climate change work.
- All members of the Pension Fund team work on developing responsible investment activities within their own area of responsibility.
- We apply ESG criteria to our selection of asset managers.
- We only work with asset managers who have committed to the Principles of Responsible Investment.
2. We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- We have principles of active ownership and engagement that steer our ownership practices and engagement activities.
- We engage in continuous dialogue about responsible business activities with domestic and foreign companies.
- We participate in the annual general meetings of domestic companies.
- We regularly monitor the content of our investment portfolio and any possible norm violations.
3. We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- We support investor initiatives that aim to promote the responsible reporting practices of companies.
- We continuously monitor the development of the responsible investment activities of our asset managers and encourage them to report on the ESG impacts of their investment activities.
4. We promote the acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- We raise ESG issues at the request for tender phase and favour asset managers that comply with the principles.
- We participate in the relevant seminars and hold lectures on responsible investing for other investors and students.
- We keep information on responsible investments updated on our website.
5. We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- We actively participate in the activities of Finsif and implement the Principles.
- We collaborate with other Investors and encourage them to invest responsibly.
- We share information with the parishes and maintain regular contact with other investors within Church organisations.
6. We will report on our activities and progress toward implementing the Principles.
- We include an ESG assessment to the monthly and annual monitoring of our investment funds.
- We publish an annual report on responsible investments.
- We report on the carbon footprint of our equity and fixed-income investments.
- We report to PRI, on an annual basis, on the progress of the implementation of the Principles.